Community Association Management

North Naples Fire Control and Rescue District
1885 Veterans Park Drive
Naples, FL 34109
239.597.3222 Fax 239.597.7082

Due to the large amount of carbon monoxide poisonings from generators, the North Naples Fire Control and Rescue District is notifying you of a potential death risk related to the use of your generator. The exhause from portable generators produces a by-product that is colorless and odorless.

Generator Safety

  • Read the Owner's Manual prior to use
  • Purchase a carbon monoxide monitor and install in a room nearest to the generator
  • Check oil and fuel levels before starting the generator
  • Ground generator prior to use
  • Provide regular maintenance according to the instruction in your owner's manual
  • Do not overload the generator's capacity
  • Air cooled engines run hot and the exhause can ignite a fire
    • Keep flammable items away from generator
  • Never plug the generator into a wall outlet to power the entire home or run an extension to a neighbor's outlet
  • Use the proper size electrical cords with no cuts or frays. Do not pinch the cords in doors or windows.
  • Turn off generator before re-fueling and allow the generator to cool before re-fueling.
  • Plug devices directly into generator
    • Never back feed your house circuits--Never connect your generator to your house wiring. This creates hazards for your home and the utility personnel trying to restore your service.

Generator Placement

  • Keep generator away from falling or standing water to avoid electric shock or generator malfunctions.
  • Place a minimum of 15 feet from any opening such as windows, patio doors, and open garage doors.
  • Ensure the wind is not blowing generator fumes towards any open windows. Be cautious of blowing gas fumes toward your neighbors open windows and thus creating a hazardous situation for them.


Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

1. Headache 8. Difficulty in Coordinating
2. Dizziness 9. Difficulty in Breathing
3. Irritability 10. Chest Pain
4. Confusion/Memory Loss 11. Cerebral Edema
5. Nausea and Vomiting 12. Convulsions/Seizures
6. Disorientation 13. Coma
7. Abnormal Reflexes 14. Death



  • Go to a safe area that is not affected by fumes and contact 911 immediately.
  • Wait for assistance
  • Do NOT re-enter affected area.


Make sure all cooking appliances are turned off and clear of combustibles. Also, do not place your generator in your garage or on your porch/patio.